If you have been married for at least one year and believe that your marriage has come to an end, you can contact divorce solicitors in London.
Grounds for divorce
If you want to obtain a divorce in England or Wales you must prove that your marriage has irretrievably broken down. You can establish irretrievable breakdown by proving one of the following five facts:
- your husband or wife has committed adultery and you find it intolerable to live with them
- your husband or wife has behaved in such a manner that you cannot be reasonably expected to live with them (unreasonable behaviour)
- you have lived apart for two years and you both agree to there being a divorce
- your husband or wife has deserted you for a period of two years or more
- you have lived apart for five years or more – a divorce can be secured whether or not your husband or wife agrees to a divorce.
Unless you and your spouse have lived apart for two years or more, to secure a divorce in Englandand Wales, it is necessary to show some form of fault, i.e., either adultery or unreasonable behavior.